Saturday 16 February 2013

The Best Laid Plans and All That (Take 2)

So the idea for today's post was to try and photograph my run ..... again.  The day dawned bright and clear, albeit with a very slight ground mist so I was hopeful that all would go according to plan.  Here we go:

Half a mile from home and crossing the green
 
On to the canal
 
Past the marina
 
The best thing about running this time of the morning: witnessing
the beautiful sunrises


About to leave the canal via the swing-bridge
up ahead


To be confronted by mud once again and heading for the
hills in the distance


Hills getting closer
 
And another muddy track leading to the top of the hill
 
About to leave the track and head on to the Wansdyke
(it's hard to tell but it's the darker green line going across from
the right about halfway down photo)


On the Wansdyke - you can see the ridge more clearly
now and the steep slope each side


Look!  There in the distance, it's our old friends the Twin
Towers ... all roads may lead to Rome but around here seemingly
all tracks lead to the Twin Towers.  And that is where we are heading
today too .... notice the rather ominous cloud gathering


The Twin Towers are now on my right and this track leads
back towards Devizes.  I would have taken more scenic shots
but as you can probably tell, I am now in the thick cloud that was
gathering at the top of the hill
 
A few miles further on and we have left the rather attractive
grass track and are now on a hardcore track with just a few
puddles to try and avoid


Making our way to the copse at the top of the hill.  Can't see it?
Yep, neither could I; I'm glad this was not the first time I had
attempted this part of the run


The entrance to the copse. At this point I was on the top of Roundway
Hill and the fog / low cloud (or whatever it was) was unbelievably thick.
It's amazing how quickly it descended, I can now appreciate how people
can become disoriented especially when not familiar with an area.
If my plans had gone according to plan then having gone through the copse I
was going to take a lovely photo of a bird's eye view across Devizes.
Clearly that didn't happen.


Two miles or so later and back on the canal for the final
stretch home
 
And so ended today's run.  It was definitely a run of two halves and I am sorry that I wasn't able to share more scenic photos with you.  So 12 miles in total today, tomorrow it's hill sessions.  Oh goody.    

2 comments:

  1. Wow!! Beautiful photos. What a lovely area you run in!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do feel very lucky to have so many tracks right on my doorstep. I just wish the weather would buck its ideas up so I could take better photos!

      Delete