Tuesday 12 February 2013

Decisions, Decisions, Decisions

Whilst the decorating has been completed in the dining room and kitchen, there is still all the finishing touches that need doing.  One of these is deciding what is going to go up on our lovely, newly painted walls.  I have deliberately kept everything very neutral paint-wise, the woodwork is white and the walls are Dulux White Cotton which, in fairness, is pretty much white.  The furniture in the dining room is oak, the kitchen units are beech (or something along those lines) and the floor coverings are brown carpet in dining room and terracotta tile effect lino in the kitchen.  My idea is to inject colour into the rooms by using accessories; all very Homes & Garden. 

Dining Room
So far in the dining room I have three Poole pottery vases displayed on the cabinet and purple curtains up at the window and french doors.  One wall (the one above the computer desk) has been reserved for displaying my running trophies (well, certificates and medals!)  This leaves one long wall spare and I am torn as to what to display on it.  I have decided to go with a multi-part canvas in shades of purple (this is going to be my 'accent' colour for this room) but I am torn between these two:



The colour of the curtains is reflected better in the picture of the poppy however I prefer the vibrancy of the orchid.  I am usually a very decisive person (although don't always make the best decisions) but I am really at a loss which one to plump for.  At this rate I may just be going with the 'Heads, Tails' option and tossing a coin.

Kitchen
As mentioned, the kitchen units are a beech colour, the worktop a mottled grey / brown and the walls are tiled with those mini tiles that come on sheets (tesserae?) in a brownish / greyish pattern.  Again, everything very neutral and although I don't like storing items on the worktops, the few items that we do have on there are just blending into the background.  Well, that is until I bought these lovely babies at the weekend:


I absolutely adore them, they just look so damned gorgeous and really stand out against the rather drab background; oh, they are pretty darned good at cutting too!  So I am now on a quest to replace the few items I do have on display with some funky colours.  Tomorrow I am off to visit a rather splendid kitchen shop in my home town where I hope to be bringing back armfuls of loveliness to display.  Credit card, get ready to flex.

2 comments:

  1. Our dining room wall needs something to go on it and I reckon that top canvas would look great. I think Mrs M would like it too - purple being her most favouritist colour. Is it available to order online?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is indeed, in fact it's an eBay special. Search for "plum purple flower painting 4 panel" and hopefully it should come up. It's probably the one I am going to plump for too .... what were you saying about parallel lives again?!

      Delete