Friday 25 January 2013

What Is The Best Thing Since Sliced Bread?

I have recently lost my way with my eating habits and, as a consequence and despite running around 40 miles per week, I have put weight on. I am disappointed in myself that I have let things slip after all my hard work of losing it in the first place. I don’t know how much I have put on – I don’t own a pair of scales – but I would say probably around a stone. My clothes still fit however the fit is a bit tighter than it was.
So what has caused the weight gain? It is definitely my two big weaknesses: portion control and bread. My portions have grown from the more controlled size during the weight loss phase and, as before, whilst we always eat freshly prepared food (the bonus of having a stay-at-home partner) too much of a good thing is still too much. 
 
And what of bread? This is my single biggest weakness by far. I can thumb my nose at chocolate, blow a raspberry at crisps, cock a snook at sweets but show me a freshly baked loaf and I start to slaver like a rabid dog. To me there is nothing nicer than a fresh roll, the more ‘exotic’ the better (okay, exotic is overstating a bit when my bread comes from Morrisons but you know what I mean).  Show me an onion & herb, sundried tomato or honey & pumpkin seed ciabatta and I am one very happy bunny. Of course buying bread from Morrisons is not helped by the fact that it’s 35p per roll or any four for £1; I am right in thinking it would be rude not to buy four rolls am I not? After all, I need to sample as many of the different flavours they produce (just for comparison purposes you understand).  So an average working day can have me eating four large rolls throughout the day and then either a baguette or several slices of bread with dinner.  What the hell is going on?  I have absolutely no idea why I crave bread so much.  I do love spreading it thickly with lovely, lovely Lurpak but I'm also more than happy eating it dry.  I just have this compulsion to eat bread.  I suppose it could be worse, I could be stuffing my face with crisps, chocolate and biscuits but eating four rolls and x amount of bread a day whilst maintaining my weight is not sustainable and my tighter trousers prove it.

So, back to basics and today is the first day of my 'regain the waist' plan.  I was intending on having no bread at all but lack of lunch products meant that I had to take a sandwich however my intake has reduced to two slices of granary bread for today and I am planning on having no bread over the weekend.  In fact, I am going to reduce my overall carbohydrate consumption over the next couple of weeks as I find that I definitely have more energy when I concentrate on proteins.

The plan is to go to a Slimming World weigh-in at the end of February where I hope to be back to my target weight.  Wish me luck.            

No comments:

Post a Comment